Janell Wilson has been with MichaelSilver for over 20 years, having started in 1996 after receiving her Bachelor of Arts degree in accounting from Michigan State University. She began as a staff accountant and has grown with the firm, expanding her responsibilities over the years. Her dedication and hard work led to a promotion to partner in 2015 and she is an integral part of the accounting and assurance leadership team.
Janell has expertise in audits, reviews, and compilations of companies within the private, middle market sector. She enjoys working closely with entrepreneurs and business owners to improve accounting systems and procedures and strengthen internal controls. Her industry specializations include manufacturers, automobile dealerships, professional service providers, retailers, and leasing companies. Janell also has extensive experience with audits of employee benefit plans.
Janell works with not-for-profit clients, including religious organizations, arts and cultural organizations, social welfare organizations, trade associations, schools, and private foundations. She oversees financial statement audits and agreed upon procedures engagements.
Janell provides consulting and special project work to her clients. Her experience includes:
- Representing clients during the closing of dealership acquisitions and sales
- Involvement with qualified and non-qualified benefit plan design
- Preparing benefit calculations for phantom stock and deferred compensation plans
- Assisting with implementation of employee reimbursement programs
- Managing accounting and loan disbursements for financing companies
- Arranging appraisals and valuations for insurance comparisons
- Advising on public charity vs. private foundation designations
- Providing break-even and cash flow analysis
Janell is involved with the firm’s recruiting initiatives. She enjoys participating in firm events, including riding in the Annual Honor Ride Chicago and playing on the MichaelSilver softball team. Janell is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Illinois CPA Society.
- New SBA Guidance on Qualifications for a Payroll Protection Program Loan
- Payroll Protection Program: Best Practices for Loan Forgiveness
- The New Revenue Recognition Standard
- Internal Control – The Big Picture
- What Distinguishes an Employee from an Independent Contractor?
- Starting Your Own Business
- Today’s Audit Confirmation Process: The Benefits of Third Party Service Providers
- How Do I Find the Right Financial Advisor? (Slides)
- How Do I Find the Right Financial Advisor? (MP4 Video and Slides)
Contact Janell at [email protected].